And while it’s easy to find a company that would allow you to work remotely when you’re down with a cold, it can be challenging to find a reputable job where you can work remotely 100% of the time.
To help you with your search, I’ve compiled a list of the best ways to land remote software development jobs in the USA.
If you have what it takes to be an excellent remote software developer, here are some of the best ways you can find companies that hire remote workers.
Apply to Remote Jobs via Job Portals or the Company Website
With the increase in popularity of remote work, job portals like WeWorkRemotely, Indeed, remote. co, etc., allow job seekers like you to apply for opportunities that are not in your geographical location.
But before you start applying for jobs, narrow down the skill you want to specialize in and target those jobs specifically. If you find any job postings that interest you, take the time to research the company you’re applying for since the job listings on these portals may sometimes be misleading.
Focus on quality over quantity and draft a personalized cover letter for each job you apply for. Talk about what you can bring to the table and why you think you’re the best candidate for the job.
On job portals like these, there is a ton of competition. Businesses receive 100s of applications just like yours, and a strong cover letter will help you stand out from the crowd.
You can also do a simple google search, look for remote-friendly businesses, and apply directly via their company websites.
Freelancing is another excellent way of landing remote software jobs by finding businesses that are actively looking for your services. Freelancing offers more flexibility and helps you control your schedule, income, and workload.
Freelancing is not always rainbows and sunshine, most of the time you lack job security in freelancing. One week you may make thousands of dollars, and the very next week, you may have to work your way up from ground zero and hunt for new gigs.
There are several freelance bidding platforms like Upwork and Fiverr that you can register on to find remote projects.
But there are a few things you should know about before getting on these bidding sites.
- It’s a race to the bottom for money. Most clients on the site are looking for the best freelancer for the lowest price.
- There are too many fake/spam job posts.
- It’s tough to land a remote job as opposed to short-time contract-based projects.
And these are just some of the prominent issues people on Freelance platforms face. But on the flip side, it’s the easiest way to start making some quick money.
Rather than approaching businesses, leverage your connections on Twitter and LinkedIn to build good relationships with other software developers.
Research shows that employee referrals are 4x times more likely to be hired. Additionally, 82 percent of employees have rated referrals above any other sourcing options to yield the best ROI.
This directly shows that the more people you’re acquainted with within your industry, the better chance you’ll have of finding a good job.
However, this is a process that takes time and effort. You have to be patient and willing to put in the effort to build quality relationships. If you’re looking for a quick fix, this one may not be for you.
All the options we covered till now had some downsides. Freelancing platforms won’t give regular work (and money), remote work job boards have fierce competition, and it takes days, sometimes months to build connections with people who can refer you for a job.
So, is there any platform that solves these problems?
Turing.com is a unique platform that gives solutions to the problems mentioned above. It bridges the gap between freelance platforms and job portals by offering long-term 100% remote software job opportunities.
It specifically focuses on the well-being of the developer and provides all the tools and services needed for you to be successful as a remote developer.
Turing.com is different because:
- No hunting for jobs: Unlike all the solutions we’ve discussed, you don’t have to hunt for projects and work hard to stand out amongst thousands of other developers. Turing works to understand your goals and aspirations and only shows you shortlisted software development jobs opportunities that best fit you.
- Long-term opportunities: You won’t have to jump from one client to another working on short contract-based projects; you will get a real job and work as a team member of the US firm you’re paired with. You will get all the benefits that the organization provides to its employees.
- Flexibility: While you hold the same position as a traditional employee, you get the best of both worlds by having the flexibility to work at your hours.
- On-time payment: You don’t have to deal with the hassle of constantly following up with your client to pay their invoice; Turing takes the responsibility of ensuring you get paid on time.
- Conflict resolution: Turing handles all issues that may arise between you and your company.
Additionally, if and when your contract with one client is terminated, Turing will match you with another company right away. This means, once you’ve registered with Turing, you never have to look for another job and simply focus on what you’re good at.
If you envision working with such a company that offers you challenging roles and great compensation, sign up with Turing.com and start applying to remote US software jobs from the comfort of your home.
Jaya is a Copywriter & Content Writer and has worked for businesses in over 27 different niches. She’s written over 200+ blogs to date and when she’s not writing, she can be found obsessing over a book.
Follow TechStrange for more Technology, Business, and Digital Marketing News.